Hainault Forest Website

Written and Designed by Brian Ecott

FOREST OF ESSEX CHURCHES

Churches founded before disafforestation of Hainault Forest in 1851

St. Mary the Virgin, Stapleford Abbotts

The Tower was built in 1851 and contains two bells from the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. The Church was rebuilt ten years later in 1861, although the Abny chapel behind the choir stalls dates from 1638.  There has been a Church here since the Norman conquest

The Church was mainly rebuilt in 1861 as shown by the stone inset into the wall.

The stained glass windows date mainly from the rebuilding in 1861 except the 14th Century window of Edward the Confessor holding ring and sceptre found in the older part of the Church.

ST MARY STAPLEFORD ABBOTS IN ESSEX. Rectory in the Archdiocese of Essex, Deanery and Hundred of Ongar, formerly belonging to the famous Abbey of Bury and was given by the Lord of it to St Edmund because being sick, he recovered upon harbouring the corps of St Edmunds as it returned to St, Edmundsbury then called Beodericsworth.  AD1700.

List of rectors from 14th Century

Pet Service 13th September 2009. The service supports members  of Hearing Dogs for Deaf People who bring their dogs with them.

Other pets were welcomed.

Pet  service 7th September 2008

Information from leaflet "A brief history of the Church" by Nick Ellis and Bernard Singleton